Winds of change
Focus issue 206 April 2018
Australia's energy future
INTERVIEW: MICHELLE SIMMONS ON AUSTRALIA’S TECH FUTURE AND HER ILLUSTRIOUS CAREER
By Anthea Batsakis
The 2018 Australian of the year overcame humble beginnings to become a world leader in her field.
AUSTRALIA CAN BE A WORLD LEADER IN ENERGY STORAGE
By Bruce Godfrey
The future of renewable energy storage in Australia and how we can take advantage of our natural resources.
HOW TO TRANSFORM OUR ENERGY PRODUCTIVITY
By Jonathan Jutsen
Tracking the value chain exposes just how inefficient our energy use it. Here is how we can boost our energy productivity.
CHANGE POLICIES, NOT THE CLIMATE
By Wendy Craik
Australia has endured years of shifting policy when it comes to the energy sector. To transition into renewable energy, policies must be stable, certain and climate change aware.
IS AUSTRALIA SERIOUS ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE?
By Lorraine Stephenson
Australia must embrace new technologies to effectively reduce our greenhouse gas emissions.
THE PEOPLE-POWERED GRID
By Lachlan Blackhall
How empowered electricity customers are transforming Australia’s electricity supply and management systems.
Also in this issue:
- Alan Finkel: Why we need hands-on STEM in the classroom
- Mary-Anne Williams: Risky bias in artificial intelligence
- Marguerite Evans-Galea: What does a future-ready PhD graduate look like?
- Interview: Paul Zimmet fights the global diabetes epidemic
- EnergyAustralia levels pay disparity
- Meet a STELR trailblazer
- What we’re reading
- Homeward Bound: women on the frontline against climate change